The Ultimate Thanksgiving Feast
Unveiling the Secret to Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey with Big Green Egg: Moist, Delicious, and Irresistible
One of the biggest challenges when cooking a Thanksgiving turkey is preventing it from drying out. With the Big Green Egg, say goodbye to this worry forever. The EGG’s ceramic walls and precisely engineered airflow create an oven-like environment, locking in moisture and ensuring that your turkey remains succulent from the first bite to the last. Every bite is an explosion of flavors, and every slice is a testament to the Big Green Egg’s culinary prowess.
As the crisp autumn breeze fills the air and the holiday season approaches, there’s an undeniable sense of anticipation for Thanksgiving – a time when families and friends gather around a table laden with delicious dishes. At the heart of this culinary celebration is the Thanksgiving turkey, a dish that symbolizes warmth, togetherness, and tradition. If you’re looking to grill, roast, smoke, bake, inject, brine or even spatchcock the bird, you’re in search of a foolproof way to take your Thanksgiving turkey from good to extraordinary. Well, look no further because your quest ends here!
Discover how the Big Green Egg transforms a simple meal into a moist, flavorful extravaganza, bringing families together and leaving them craving for more with these recipes below.
Subscribe to our Newsletter for more Thanksgiving Tips & Recipes
Entire Thanksgiving Meal on the EGG
Learn How to Spatchcock a Turkey
Smoked Turkey on the Big Green Egg
Our recipes are festive, yet simple, and with an EGG, outdoor cooking requires so little effort that you’ll be free to relax with family and friends. As for that turkey, you can cook a whole bird, spatchcock it or roast a breast. You can brine it or inject it, and then smoke or roast it. Check out all of these festive, yet simple, turkey recipe options … and free up room in your oven for other foods.
The Big Green Egg Experience: Bringing Families Together
Thanksgiving isn’t just about the food; it’s about the shared moments and cherished memories with loved ones. The Big Green Egg adds a unique dimension to this experience, turning cooking into a family affair. Gather around the Egg as you prepare the turkey together, marveling at the aromatic scents wafting through the air. It’s not just a meal; it’s a bonding experience that brings families closer and creates lasting traditions.
Your Turkey Cheat Sheet
BIG GREEN EGG COOKING TEMP
FINAL TURKEY INTERNAL TEMP
*COOKING TIME BASED ON A 18LB TURKEY
- Start dreaming about the best turkey ever!
- Light the Big Green Egg! Bring the temperature up to 325°F/163°C.
- Open the dome and add the pecan smoking chips to coals. (Leave time to debate with friends whether to soak or not to soak!) Add the convEGGtor to the EGG, legs up, then add the cooking grid.
- Spread the seasoning generously over the outside of the turkey. Load the turkey onto a Vertical Turkey Roaster or into a Roasting Rack, then place into a drip pan.
- Add the onion and celery to the drip pan.
- Fill the pan with chicken broth, wine, or water.
- Place the drip pan, with the turkey, on the cooking grid. Close the EGG and start practicing your “Best Chef Ever” acceptance speech.
- Your neighbor smells what you’re cooking and asks to come over for dinner.
- Check the internal temperature of the turkey for doneness. (USDA guidelines recommend an internal temp of 165°F/74°C. Remember that the turkey’s internal temp will continue to rise a few degrees after it’s removed from the EGG.)
- When your turkey has reached the ideal internal temperature, remove the bird from the EGG, tent with aluminum foil and let it rest a few minutes so that the juices settle.
- Take photos to post to Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram before carving and serving the turkey. Remember to tag @BigGeenEgg and #BigGreenEgg on social media so we can see your turkey pics!
THE PERFECT TURKEY
- One turkey, cleaned thoroughly
- Big Green Egg Savory Pecan Seasoning
- 1 Whole onion cut in half
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cups chicken broth, wine, or water
If you plan to soak your wood chips, start the night before.
Load the charcoal into the EGG the night before, so everything is ready on Thanksgiving.
- Savory Pecan Seasoning
- Pecan Smoking Chips
- Vertical Turkey Roaster or Roasting Rack
- Drip Pan
COOKING TIME ESTIMATES
Approximately 12 minutes per pound
6 – 10 lbs
1 1/2 – 2 hrs
10 – 18 lbs
2 – 2 1/2 hrs
18 – 22 lbs
2 1/2 – 3 hrs
22 – 24 lbs
3 – 3 1/2 hrs